Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Favorite Memory: Caving - By Alex

Dudes! Hey there! So, we're supposed to each tell one of our favorite memories. It was Olivia's idea. You know how Olivia is, she always likes to find out more about people; I think that's why everyone likes her. Oh yeah, this is Alex.

One of the coolest things I ever got to do was go caving. Dad took me to some really awesome caverns for my ninth birthday and we got to go spelunking, eat dinner and watch a movie and then sleep in the cave. It was like the king of all adventures.


This daring feat is not for the faint of heart. We were doing what is called bellying crawling. That's where it's so short, or narrow, or however you say it, that you have to go through on your belly cause you can't even crawl on your knees. Only, I was small enough at the time that I could sort of use my knees, but it was still freaky.  

We were down there for a long time, climbing up rocks, sliding through holes, inching our way along and having on the light from our head lamps and flashlights to light the way. At one point in time our guide told everyone to switch off their lights and it was so creepy! There wasn't light anywhere. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see my hand even when I held it right in front of my face. I'm glad I didn't get stuck down in the cave without a light! 


The rocks and formations in the cave were really cool; I thought some of them looked like jewels. It was pretty crazy because some of the cave glittered and sparkled. I knew Olivia would love to see it but there is no way she'd go down in the cave with me, she would be way too freaked out. 

At one place in the cave it was all muddy. Everything was covered in sticky, gooey mud. Each step we took almost pulled our shoes off. It was so weird. One of the other guys who was spelunking with us scraped some mud off the walls and made a little man out of it. It turned out really good. 


I keep telling Dad that it would be so cool if we could go caving again. Who knows? Maybe Caleb, Nathan and me can do it together some time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment