Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Favorite Memory: In the Swamp - By Nathan

I suppose it's logical that one of my favorite memories would be from when our family was on vacation. Aren't vacations meant for making memories after all? I'm Nathan and I'm here at Olivia's request to share with you about one of my favorite memories. 

Two years ago, before my youngest sister was born, our family took a trip to Florida to visit with my grandparents who are snowbirds there. (If you were wondering, no my grandparent's aren't actual birds. A snowbird is someone who goes to a warmer place for the winter. It's comparable to a bird migrating for the cold months, hence the name.) 

My grandparents live near the swamp and I was intrigued by the various forms of life living there that we don't have in Ohio. One day Grandma agreed to take me out to help me identify different specimens and gather a few things to bring back to the house and study under the microscope. 


We got up early in the morning, slung our pre-packed backpacks over our shoulders and headed out on our exploration. As the sun rose higher and higher in the sky I was amazed at all I could see and touch in the swamp. 

I had brought my swamp guide along and I pulled it out numerous times to try and figure out what a certain plant or animal was. Grandma was really patient and didn't care how long I took. That was quite a change after spending so much time around my two little siblings who get bored easily. 

After we were done in the swamp Grandma took me out to eat and she let me explain to her all about how my various experiments were going and what I had been learning. It was a lot of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment