Saturday, December 13, 2014

Responsibilities - By Ivy

Hey Everyone! Ivy here! 

I am an animal lover. Of course horses are the best, but really any animal is better than none at all. Sometimes people just don't know what to make of my obsession (that's what my mom calls it) with living creatures. Dad says it's because I'm an only child so I like to have the company.  

I love getting to visit Miss Aidyl because she's got a huge variety of critters. That's why I was so excited when Miss Aidyl offered to pay me to take care of her animals when she went to a cooking conference for a week. Like of course I wanted to!

"Are you sure that you'll be consistent?" Mom wanted to know. "Miss Aidyl is counting on you, that means you'll have to take care of the animals even when you'd rather be doing something else."

I sucked in an exasperated sigh. We were talking about animals here; there wasn't going to be anything I'd rather do. Or so I thought at the time.  

For two days before Miss Aidyl left I helped her while she did her animals so I would know just what to do and she also wrote down detailed instructions for me. I was feeling pretty good about myself by the time she finally left for her conference. I felt rather accomplished that Miss Aidyl had chosen me even though I was the youngest of all the Action Kids. 

Friday morning I walked into our kitchen to see Dad standing at the counter with a cup of coffee in one hand, looking out our big window over the sink. 
“Good morning, Dad!” I sang out cheerily. I was in a good mood because I was allowed to go down to the stables down the road every Friday and help out with the horses. 

“Ivy.” Dad gave me a fist bump. “Are you busy today? I mean other than the stables?” 

“Not really, why?” I got out a packet of instant oatmeal and then flipped the switch for the hot water pot. 

“I have this afternoon off so I was thinking it would be fun to go and visit Grandma and take her out for supper.” 


Nice! Grandma lived two hours away so we didn’t get to see her as often as I wished we could. “That would be super cool!” Before I was even done with my sentence I felt my surge of excitement plummeting. “What time do you think we’d get home?” 

“Not until late, but that’s ok because I have Saturday off, too. In fact, we might just stay at Grandma’s house over night.” 

I felt like crying. Staying at Grandma’s house was such a big treat, but there was no way I’d be able to go along. “Thanks, Dad, but I can’t go this time.” I ripped the packet of oatmeal open and dumped it into my bowl, blinking rapidly. 

“Why not?” 

“I’m taking care of Miss Aidyl’s animals this week.” 

“Oh. I had forgotten.” Dad was quiet for a moment, then he smiled at me. “I’m proud of you, Ivy, for being diligent with your job. You thought of your responsibilities right away, that shows that you’re maturing and growing up. We’ll just have to plan our visit to Grandma’s for another weekend.” 

I thought about Dad’s words as I ate my oatmeal. By the time I was done I had a big smile on my face. I wasn’t going to get to visit Grandma, but at least I knew my parents were proud of me and I was helping Miss Aidyl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment